Monday, May 2, 2011

Blessed Karol

Image of Pope John Paul II, Montenero, LivornoOn 19 March 1982 Pope John Paul II made a pastoral visit to the Diocese of Livorno, celebrating a open-air Holy Mass in “Piazza della Repubblica” and visiting the Sanctuary of Montenero.Altar on the parvis of the Sanctuary of Montenero, LivornoLast summer we saw this image of the now Blessed Karol Wojtyła behind an altar erected just outside the Basilica, on the parvis of the Sanctuary.Cross, altar on the parvis of the Sanctuary of Montenero, LivornoLet us render a modest homage to Pope John Paul the Great, the day after his beatification.

See also: Piazza della Repubblica - Sanctuary of Montenero
Beatification and canonisation of Pope John Paul II (Wikipedia)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like no-one else he represented faith and church for me. Thank you for the many memories.

Please have a good new month and week as well.

daily athens

Michelle said...

A wonderful reminder of his good works. My husband was blessed by him.

Leif Hagen said...

He was a great Pope! He visited my hometown of Stevens Point, Wisconsin which is 75% Polish Roman Catholic when he was still a cardinal! The town really celebrated when he became Pope!

Jack said...

Your tribute to Pope John Paul II is very touching, VP.

Dina said...

This Pope was a blessing to so many and especially to Israel. And now he is officially Blessed.

Thanks for these pictures.
The carving is so nice.

Kate said...

I am reminded of what a breath of fresh air he was! Wonderful tribute.

cieldequimper said...

I didn't watch the royal wedding and I didn't watch the ceremony yesterday. I do like that wood very much.

Unknown said...

Is it a painted photo? Well, whatever it is hanging there it's fantastic!

Rob Siemann said...

I was lucky enough to see him 4 times, twice in Italy, one in France before he became pope, and once in Canada. And I will never forget.

Stefan Jansson said...

I think it's best that I don't say anything here.