Saturday, March 28, 2009

Modigliani's Heads

Fosso Reale, Royal Canal, LivornoThis is the “Fosso Reale”, just in front of where I live now, and exactly where 25 years ago took place one of the greatest hoaxes in the history of Italian art. Four high-school students and a dockworker started what was intended as a no more than a practical joke, ending with an earthquake that shattered the reputations of many art critics. If you do not know, or simply do not remember well what happened, please check this link: Modigliani’s Heads (“noresize”, October 25, 2007).Fake Modigliani's heads hoax, LivornoThe art historian Federico Zeri, alone, proclaimed that the sculptures were so “immature” that even if they were authentic, Modigliani had been right about throwing them away. I don't know if one day someone will try to dredge the “Fosso” again, but I'm sure that they'll find dozens of heads. Here, in 1984, everybody who could handle a chisel or a power tool and was able to lay hands on a piece of stone, quickly made his personal “Modigliani's head” and threw it in those water.
Fake Modigliani's heads hoax, Livorno(Fake heads image from: La “beffa” dell'estate 1984)

Search labels: Modigliani
External links: Amedeo Modigliani (Wikipedia)

14 comments:

Copenhagen said...

What an interesting story.

Unknown said...

LOL:-) The story reminds me of the one from New York where some paintings, reportedly made by a renowned painter, was sold and later revealed as "works" by a chimpanzee. People do want to be hoaxed. Beautiful photos, especially the shot under the bridge.

joo said...

Beautiful place and lovely photos! Nod bad place to live I recon:)

Marcel said...

What a story, I don't really get it though, much ado about nothing I guess. Art really provokes a lot of reactions and responces. I love it.

nobu said...

Wonderful photos, I like those fantastic refrections.
Congratulation on your hundredth post.

Lowell said...

First of all, congratulations on #100!

Secondly, this is a great story. (And great photos!)

Thirdly, you live in a beautiful place!

Fourthly, have a great day!

lemon said...

This is the picture of beautiful italy that I have in my mind.
Nice place to live,ee??!!

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

your photos are beautiful but your story about the heads in the water is even more interesting. unbelievable piece of history. At least it gets everyone talking about art. I am glad you enjoyed the Scottsdale Art Walk photos on my site. I also agree with your comments about the cactus on my site today, Mickey Mouse ears they are!

cieldequimper said...

Your photos of il Fosso Reale are beautiful, lucky you to live just there! I didn't remember the Modigliani hoax, it's amazing.

Trillian said...

One more reason to be happy for our 100th post is that I am finally online.

Thank you all for the nice comments!

crocrodyl said...

Excellent photos! Beautiful unique reflection!

Tash said...

Congratulations on your 100th post!
The story is so fascinating and funny. I would love to have gotten a try at creating a head ala-Modigliani - but I would have kept it.
Your photos are exquisite in composition and color - and really bring the story to life.

valeria said...

...che fine hanno fatto le teste?!?

stromsjo said...

So this is where the expression heads up emanates from? ;)